The Schaefer Center for the Performing Arts is a 1,660-seat multi-use auditorium located on the campus of Appalachian State University in Boone, North Carolina. The Center features orchestra and balcony level seating and a proscenium stage. The Schaefer Center is also home to the Smith Gallery.
The Schaefer Center for the Performing Arts is dedicated to enhancing the artistic and cultural landscape of Appalachian State University and the surrounding region by providing a venue devoted to the year-round presentation of campus and community events that enrich, educate, inspire, and promote quality of life.
Location and directions
The Schaefer Center for the Performing Arts is located at 733 Rivers Street on the campus of Appalachian State University in Boone, North Carolina. Get driving directions, parking information, and more.
The Schaefer Center for the Performing Arts strives to make its performances and facilities accessible to all of our patrons. If you have questions or would like to receive additional information about accessibility at the Schaefer Center, please contact Maura McKenzie, Director of Audience Services, Arts and Cultural Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org or 828-262-2248.
Patrons who have mobility disabilities
Seating for our patrons with mobility disabilities is available on both levels of the Schaefer Center. Sarah Heustess, Director of Sales and Patron Relations, is pleased to assist you in making seating arrangements for you or someone in your party.
Patrons who have hearing loss
The Schaefer Center is equipped with an infrared audio system for the hearing impaired. Headsets are available at the box office.
Meet the staff
Meet the staff of the Schaefer Center for the Performing Arts.
Did you know?
- Over 150 events are scheduled annually at the Schaefer Center
- More than 8,000 children in grades K-12 attended free and low-cost school matinees in the venue last year, as part of the APPlause! Series
- Previously known as the Performing Arts Series, The Schaefer Center Presents features a diverse mix of music, dance and theatre performances throughout the academic year
- The Smith Gallery, located on the main and mezzanine levels, presents work by students and faculty members during the academic year
- With the addition of an elevator, all areas of the building are wheelchair accessible
- Concessions are available at all major events, and can be brought into the theatre
- Students who work backstage and in the box office play a critical role in the operation of the venue, while gaining important skills and experience
About the renovation
Following an extensive renovation to the facility formerly known as Farthing Auditorium, the Schaefer Center opened its doors in July of 2013. Building renovations have been funded privately, through a $7 million gift from Bonnie and Jamie Schaefer, whose generous corporate sponsorship of An Appalachian Summer Festival by Westglow Resort and Spa and Rowland’s Restaurant has enabled the festival to make significant improvements to the quality and diversity of its popular music programming. Physical improvements to the venue focused on safety, accessibility and enhancement of the performance experience.